Friday, April 18, 2008

Ellenie Lane

My dear Ellenie,
I don't get to write about your antics, your clever sayings, your funny ways of exasperating me like I do your sister. But just wait...I will and I can't wait. For now though, I get to enjoy you in the perfect bundle of sweetness that you are at 3 months.
How is it that a baby can be as good as you? So happy, content and predictable. Predictable!? But you are and it melts my heart because I just feel so thankful to you for making life a little easier. But that's only the beginning.
Because what you do the very best of all is make us smile.
Lately you have reminded me that we don't smile enough, any of us. You smile at me when your eyes first open after a long sleep. You smile at me when I turn back around after just 5 seconds of smiling at me the first time I looked at you. You smile at me as your heavy eye lids are sinking to sleep. Your smile eases me and lifts me at the same time. It reminds me that I should do the same for everyone around me. Just smile.
I was nervous about being a Mom of a 2 year old and a new born. I thought each moment of each day would be chaotic and overwhelming. And there are definitely those moments. But honestly, they are few. Instead, I have found it to be busy but very, very sweet.
And I'm starting to think that's how you'll be. Busy with life but very sweet about it all.
I can't tell you how much I have loved these first three months with you. As my dear friend Ginny and I have talked about our second daughters, we can only seem to describe you both as our gifts and treasures. Such pleasant surprises that have truly made life better.

I am soaking up these days with you. I know it won't be long until we are hunting for treasures on walks and talking about how to poop. I know I will look back and wish I could hold you just inches from my face and see you smile.

I'm going to go do that right now.

(thanks to my dearest Stephanie for the pics!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make my heart sing and a lump develop in my throat.... Ellenie will feel the same way someday when she reads of the way she has gifted you, and her Daddy, and her Big Sister. You have around you the definition of love.

I know the definition myself.....
loving you, MaMa

Marianna said...

3 months already! WOW! Such a big girl already...Love the pictures, they are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet description of those first few months. She is a sweetie and I haven't had near the time with all of you that I had wished. What a blessing!! Sue-Sue