Lillianna turned three this weekend...officially three. Hard to believe? a little.
Mostly, it's deliciously wonderful. As each month of Lillianna's life has brought more joy, more fascination, more love...how could I not be excited about what this next new year of life with her.
Lillianna at her first birthday party.

And the morning after in her birthday crown.
I miss those buttery cheeks.
Lillianna at her second birthday.
Lillianna at her third birthday with friends
And this weekend at her birthday party at home. Love this picture.
Of course, this past year brought one of the biggest additions into
Lillianna's life...her sweet little sister
Ellenie. I have loved watching
Lillianna as a big sister. She is so naturally nurturing, protective, empathetic, and caring of her. Truly. Beyond any expectations we could have dreamed,
Lillianna has embraced
Ellenie into her life as though she had planned the whole thing herself. She just asked me the other day, "When is
Ellenie going to get bigger?" I could tell she was asking something more specific so I clarified,"She's getting bigger everyday. What would you like her to be able to do when she gets bigger?" She said, "When is she going to get bigger and play with me?" She already tried to include
Ellenie in her games..sometimes too much.
Lillianna has a very vivid imagination right now. Which I love...except when I'm too tired to rescue polar bears from the jungle which requires me to run laps around the interior of our house while jumping and leaping to reach the polar bears on the ceiling. (of course.) I also love her love for all things
treasures. We still take daily walks and still collect daily treasures. She loves a
nondescript gravel rock, a scraggly looking feather, a torn brown leaf. It sure doesn't have to glitter to be a treasure. And bugs...I love that at 3 years old she loves bugs. Just tonight our sweet neighbor brought her a dead (sleeping) June bug and she carried it around all evening. It even sat by her plate at dinner time. Then she took it outside so it could go home in time to go to bed.
Today, at three years old, Lillianna is sweet and sensitive and so very smart. She loves her friends (her stuffed animals), her fish, her real friends, bugs, Ellenie, and her best friend Bibby. She is most happy when she is at home with us - Mommy, Daddy and Ellenie. She loves to color, paint, and draw. She can't get enough of books...the more the better. Dr. Seuss is a favorite right now. She is feisty and sassy (her nickname is Sassy Mo Lassy at home) and has definite opinions about how things should be...like any good 3 year old should. There are days that she bosses me around from morning to night and I have to remind myself what a cute boss she is and how much she pays me. Socially, she has come out of her shell and blossomed so much this past year that is some ways, she is unrecognizable to the baby she was last fall. Which makes me so proud. She LOVES to be tickled and laughs so hard. She also thinks its so funny when you do or say something that isn't right. You know, like "Hey Lillianna, can I borrow your shoes for a minute?" "You can't wear my shoes Mom!" (laughing, laughing) I think she's going to be one of those that can't help but laugh when someone falls....her Dad and her Ginny are like that. She can still cry in .6 seconds flat. Record time I do believe. "GRAPES?! I SAID I wanted PEARS! Not Grapes!!! (much weeping. much more weeping.) As soon as it starts, it's over. Even when my adrenaline is still racing from the shrieking. Lillianna inspires me, motivates me, challenges me, encourages me, and makes me such a better person. I love my baby so much.
So this reflection is really for me. For my terrible memory...for when I can't remember if she loved bugs when she was 3 or 5? She's one of the best treasures I could ever ask for.
2 comments:
And so it goes..... treasure to treasure from one generation to another. I felt the same way about you, MaMa Carroll Lane.... and Oh, how you have enriched my life and made sunshine and rainbows possible throughout my life. You and Brad are a "dream team".
YaYa
Carroll Lane, what a sweet post. I know that Lillianna has enriched your life beyond words simply because from the day she was born she has been able to give me smiles and laughs as well. I may only have spent a few hours with her over her life and I have yet to meet Ellenie, but they both encourage me every day. Tell the sweet girl happy birthday for me and give them both a hug and a kiss.
Post a Comment