Monday, April 01, 2013

Our Son.

Everyone has moments in their life that happen and change their life significantly in just one second.
  We had one recently.  It was a phone call.
We knew we were going to get the phone call.
  Brad came home for lunch just to be there when our adoption agency was supposed to call.
  It was a scheduled call to talk about our next few steps in our adoption journey.
  It went well.  Lots of questions and lots of answers.
Then, everything changed.
We weren't expecting it and looking back, I'm not sure we were prepared.
They introduced us to our son.
Our precious, beautiful, baby boy.
We saw pictures and read his file.
It was overwhelming how little we knew about him.
I wanted to know EVERYTHING about him.  Every tiny detail.
Adoption is hard.  It hurts my heart not to know so much and to know I've missed so much.
Yet we were tremendously blessed that our own social worker has SEEN him and held him.
Our awesome agency sends teams of staff and UAB doctors to visit partnership orphanages each year.
She described him as curious and active.  I told her to tell me everything she could about him.
Then we got to talk with the doctor from UAB who had seen and assessed him.
She, too, remembered him being curious and interested in everything around him.
We had other questions for her and she had lots to tell us.
Brad and I talked and prayed.  And prayed.  And prayed.
And then we knew, without a doubt, that he was our son.
Once we knew, I have never known such a peace about something.
That's not true.  I had the same peace when I said yes to Brad's marriage proposal.
Almost eleven wonderful years later, I pray this peace will be as successful.
When I look at my son's picture, I am overcome with how blessed and how thankful I am.

James
We are in love.

2 comments:

Brooke Maedel said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. So happy for y'all and I love his name...it is a special one! Hugs to all the Parsons,
Brooke

Angie said...

He is beautiful!!! Which orphanage is he in? So excited for you all! Blessings!! - angie