Monday, November 11, 2013

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming.



We've been home with James for over two weeks.
At times, I am completely amazed at how seamlessly he has fit right into our family and how seamlessly our family has transitioned into a family of five.
At other times, I feel like we are all swimming with our eyes closed…figuring out where we are going as we swim along, always unsure when we might crash into a wall.


We have been intentional during these first few weeks home, to "cocoon" as a family, spending lots of time at home and even more time together.  It has definitely had its desired effect as I can tell James is truly bonding with each one of us, beginning to have an understanding of of his home, feeling comfortable to be himself, and really enjoying all the love and attention.

  In an ideal world, all five of us could have spent these last two weeks at home together; but we couldn't.  Brad had to go back to his demanding job and the girls had to go back to school.
Which meant we all had to be up early, breakfast made, lunches packed, homework completed, harp lessons, dinnertime meetings, art lessons, field trips, forgotten lunch boxes, halloween costumes, homework left at home, dentist appointments…and on and on.
Swimming with my eyes closed I tell ya.


Now to be clear, we are doing really great.  With each day, we are finding our footing and sliding into our new routines and rhythms.  We are light years beyond where I thought we would be at this point...where many families coming home with their little ones usually are.


  We are so very blessed that James is doing so well.  We are experiencing all the normal growing pains of adding to our family and I can absolutely verify that it's true...going from 2 to 3 kids is not too hard  pretty tough.  


There was a moment in China where we had travelled all day and were on our way to our hotel around midnight.  James was asleep in my lap and Ellenie was asleep in Brad's lap.  I looked over at Lillianna who was nodding off with her head against the window.  Any other time in her life I would have gathered her into my lap so she could sleep soundly.  And that's when it hit me...there's only two of us and three of them.



  I just continue to pray that God will guide me in wisdom, fill me with patience, and allow a third arm to grow from my body so I can give them each all they need.


  
As a parent, you often get to experience all four seasons in a day with your children and I can definitely say the same about this journey.  We have some of THE MOST precious, beautiful moments and a few REALLY hard moments combined with LIFE enriching, completely encouraging moments and CRAZY patience trying moments all in one day.  




It's such a joy and a privilege to be a part of James experiencing so many 'firsts'.
First time feeling grass...first time eating ice...first time getting kissed by a dog...first time seeing fire...
first time feeding a goat.
Yes, we got to experience each of these with our girls but they were spread out over time and many when they were much younger than James is now.  It's just so fun to see the wonder, the excitement, and the joy he has with each one.


It's also amazing to see how much progress he has made in our short time home.  From his physical capabilities to his language, from his level of comfort in the car seat to sleeping in his room, we are just so proud of this brave, resilient little boy.   We are sure he had never seen a dog before and certainly not one the size of a small horse.  James was so scared of Boone that first week and screamed a high pitch scream and clung on to me for dear life.  Then, he stopped screaming and just tried to ignore her...


Just two weeks later...





I love seeing James with his sisters.
He is still trying to figure out why they are so nice to him - why they would want to share their toys, make him laugh, or give him kisses.  



We are grateful for what a healthy boy we have
We have begun making the rounds to see doctors and make sure he gets all the all the care he needs.

Here he is at the doctors office looking very unsure and serious
 which doesn't show what a tough cookie he really is.


He is walking more every day.
His determination is incredibly inspiring.


Can I also brag on how smart he is?
This little bit doesn't miss one thing.
He imitates all we say and do...
from putting our hands on our hips to replacing batteries,
we have to pay attention to everything we do in front of him because he'll be doing it next.




Our new normal is very different but delicious.
Our new normal is tiring but terrific.
Our new normal is exhausting but exhilarating.

I am loving our new normal and I am determined to start opening my eyes under water.




















No comments: