Saturday, January 14, 2012

My baby

Dear Ellenie,
You are four years old now.
I don't know that I've ever seen a child more excited to have a birthday and be a year older.
You have talked about it since last summer.
I kept teasing you that I wasn't going to let you turn four, that I'd keep you three forever.
You did not think that was funny.

You spent this last week experiencing everything as a four year old...
"This is the first time I'll go to school being four," or "I've never worn this dress since I've been four."
You also told me several times that you no longer did certain things because,
"I am really big now.  I am not a baby at all any more."
And as much as I REALLY hate to admit it...you are right.
You are not a baby any more and you are set on reminding me every minute.
But I've got news for you.
You will ALWAYS be my baby.

You couldn't be any cuter right now.  
You love to make faces, talk in funny voices, and make us laugh.
I really love your "dead pan" humor - 
 how can keep such a straight face when you are being so funny?
You've got great comedic timing and with your love of make-up and dress-up,
 I'm seeing stage time in your future.

Speaking of the future,
I asked you yesterday what you thought you might be someday and you replied, "a pig."
So I clarified and asked if there was anything you might want to do as a job someday.
You said, "I want to me a mommy, a painter, a vet.  I also want to ride a king elephant, have a painting in a store, and be a person who cuts off hair."
I know you will do all of these things and so much more.

Since August, you and I have been bosom buddies.
Lillianna is at school and it's me and you, side by side, until she gets home.
I have treasured this time together.
We color and paint, clean up and start laundry, take walks and cuddle up.
You make your own peanut butter and jelly sandwich every single day for lunch
 and accompany it with "snail ears" (puffed popcorn) and yogurt.
We also run lots of errands together and no matter where we go,
someone comments on how beautiful you are
You also turn a lot of heads when you talk.  People love to hear you talk.
It's both what you say and how you say it.
Your voice is so precious - its like a tiny pixie voice.  I said tiny, not quiet.
And boy can you use it.
  You talk, ask questions, sing, ask more questions, narrate what we're doing, sing, and ask more questions.  All before we get out of the driveway.

My lovey, my Awesome Possum, my Junkyard Judy, my Ellenie bo Bellenie,
you bring such joy to our family.
You are sweet, curious, and kind.
You are often whiny and sometimes frustrated.
You love notebooks and pens, you love music, and you love the color blue.
You eat green beans and edamame but no other vegetables.
When you go to bed, you have to have 5 giant blankets spread on your bed,
 the fan on, and the closet doors shut.
You love books, play-doh, and painting.
You love your sister more than I could have ever hoped.
I can tell at four years old that you are going to make my heart soar with pride
 and race with fear with all that you are going to do someday.
You are the most amazing tiny package of confidence, personality, spirit and love.
I love you so much.
Please don't grow up too fast, my baby.
love,
Momma

1 comment:

Reeves Thompson said...

she is growing too fast. pretty in and out! love both your girls so much!